Thursday, March 5, 2009

They Comin to America!!! TODAY!!

Isn't it amazing how a simple song can stir up so many memories and emotions? Neil Diamond's song, America, did that for me the other day.

I was driving home from work and the song came on (gotta love FM100). Immediately the memory came to mind of my 3rd Grade School Program. I remember doing hand actions to the lyrics and having "crepe paper streamers" on the end of Popsicle sticks and each section had different colors one red, one white and one blue. I can't remember what color I had, but I do remember the chorus and every time he said 'TODAY' we would wave them in the air.

I remember practicing in my living room with friends from school with the 8 track (yes I said it) my dad had of this album.

The next thought, as I was listening to the words of the song, was of my grandparents. My grandparents came to America from Norway, just after World War II. Being a newly married couple, getting on a ship, leaving their family and country they had known and loved to come to America. Thinking of the sacrifices they made to come here, not knowing any English, simply amazed me. I am so grateful to them and the sacrifices they made to come here.

So after all of the reflecting on the drive home from work, I was laughing at the beginning, reflecting on my school years to in tears by the time I had reached the school to pick up my nephew.

We live in an incredible country.

1 comment:

Janessa said...

YES! Best Neil song EVER!