Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sweet Sixteen



OK seriously why did I watch this show?! Because, I am a nerd like that and there wasn't anything else good that was on.

I just have to vent a bit of frustration.
What 16 year old should have a party that costs over $30,000? Fly to Europe, Vegas, New York to find the perfect dress... and change their outfit 4-5 times in one night. Have the latest, hippest band sing, get a brand new car, and be a total obnoxious brat when something doesn't go their way? Next year and the years to follow they will only expect bigger and better things.

I will always cherish my 16th birthday. My mom made me a delicious chocolate cake, and watched 'Chances Are' with a couple of my friends.

Did I bawl and whine like a baby because I dropped chocolate cake on my shirt, Robert Downey Jr was not at my house watching it with us and I didn't get a brand new car?

No, in fact I didn't even change my shirt. I even enjoyed a second piece of cake while pausing the movie, VHS mind you, at the just right moment towards the end where he is looking down and then looks back up. Also, worried how I was going to learn how to drive the hand-me-down car.
Yes, I will never forget my first car that I had to share with my brother.

Here it is, in all it's glory. Same color too, before my brother spray painted it black.

And we wonder why the youth of America are the way they are today?
Now I am sounding more and more like my parents. But I am grateful for how I was brought up. I was brought up to work hard for what I want and not expect it to be handed to me or throw a fit when it wasn't.

Next time I am just going to change the channel. Seriously.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Tina -- the spray painted black Datsun. Too funny. I too have been sucked into my Super Sweet 16. It is truly painful and maddening to watch. These are the same kids who are going to go crying all the way home when daddy goes to jail because he was some CEO of a company stealing millions from average people like us. Just one more example of what happens when parents just can't say no.

Theresa said...

That brought back memories of my sweet 16 and my first car. I should tell about mine. I need to scan some photos first.

Mel said...

The good ol' Datsun! The picture you have doesn't quite capture the nice bullet hole effect from your car. We had so much fun in that car and mine as well cruisin' state! Those were the good old days before the no crusing law went into effect. We were living it up! :)