Tuesday, September 30, 2008

It's ELECTRIC!! Boogie Woogie Woogie...

Ok so here is a blast from the past. I had quite the awesome song on my Ipod tonight that brought back memories. It was the ever wonderful song called 'Somebody' by Depeche Mode. Oh how I wanted somebody to share.. share the rest of my life.. share my inner most thoughts.. know my intimate details. (ummm maybe not yet.)

ANY WHO... this song brought back so many memories. The memory I had was from the many Stake Dances and the ever wonderful Stomps that my friends and I attended during High School and then our College years.
Snowbird, Saltair and the Cultural Hall gym floors at the Salt Lake, Orem and Sandy Institutes will always hold a special place in my heart. Too bad I am allergic now.
Yo Jana wanna dance?.... No thanks, I'm allergic.... To Dancin?!

Memories that come to mind.

  • The wall of heat that hit you when you entered the cultural hall.
  • Being hit with sweat from someone in 'the group' flipping their hair back and forth.
  • Being the 'friend saver' and keeping your friend distant from the person they didn't want to dance with.
  • Groaning when they played the "extended" version of Boot Scootin Boogie.
  • Doing the sprinkler, shopping cart, lumberjack, super model to the beat of any song.
  • Wishing so badly the cute boy I liked would ask me to dance.
  • Crying that the cute boy didn't ask me to dance.
  • Telling a guy who asked Melanie & I if either one of us would like to dance. Melanie & I telling him to come back later. (This was my first Stake Dance.. cut me some slack)
  • Leaving every time a slow song came on so the fear of me having to stand there alone would not come true. (gee, I wonder why I was never asked to dance.. seriously Tina).

I attended a "stomp" a couple of years ago and realized, no matter how old you get they always stay the same.

So enjoy some of the music and dance if you feel inclined to do so. I surely did (and didn't even break out in hives).

5 comments:

Heather Walker said...

Wow, that does bring back tons of memories, some good, some not so good.

Janessa said...

You are so funny! Your recollection of memories astounds me, but more than anything, I love the details of "hair flipping" and avoiding standing alone. Been there!

Theresa said...

I just might copy this blog idea. My memory of "Somebody" is dancing with someone and wondering if it was the "live extended version" which meant that awkward moment of do you walk away or keep dancing to see if the song keeps going. If it was a cute boy you always wanted the extended version.

Mel said...

haha!!! Oh the good old stake dances that ended with our self esteem just a little lower than when we entered. Good times!

Mindi said...

Um, ya. I only went to one, I was forced by my leaders. I already knew nobody would ask me to dance. Now Pleasant Grove on the other hand I submitted myself to torture week after week. Why? I loved to dance. When I got asked that is.