Sunday, December 21, 2008

Tradition... Tradition!!

A couple of days before Christmas Eve, my mom, sisters and I get together to make the traditional Christmas treats.
We first start off and make Sand Cookies. This comes from my mom's side of the family.
You press what is the consistency of sugar cookie dough into a sort of tart shell. After being baked you fill with whipped cream and strawberry preserves. YUM!




The final product!

The 2nd thing we make are a tradition from my dad's side of the family. Candy cane cookies. It is a very stiff oatmeal cookie sort of dough that you shape into candy canes. After they are baked you dip them in a very thin powdered sugar icing then piped with red icing.

Tot, Bean, and sister

I helped with the red icing part. Can you find my name? I don't think I will be asked to do this next year. :)

Bug "helping". Woops!
We also make Julekake (pronounced Yule kaw ke). It is a sweet, dense Norwegian bread filled with citron and raisins. But being the picky eaters my mom will make at least one batch without the goo.

The next item that we made was what we call.. Cereal Crack. (see above) This stuff is SERIOUSLY addicting. This isn't tradition, and just made it this year in our Holiday bake day. Let's just say each of us took a bag of this home. My teeth hurt.


After a day of baking and loads of sugar, Bug & Buddy decided to take a break and watch a movie! So cute.
These are memories that will last a lifetime, I love spending time with my family. I love them all so very much!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I need the recipe to cereal crack. I love that stuff.

Tina said...

Here it is!
Ingredients
6 ounces Golden Grahams cereal
1/2 box Corn Chex
2 cups coconut
2 cups sliced almonds
1 cup sugar
1 cup Karo syrup
3/4 cup butter or margarine

Directions
1 Mix top four ingredients in large bowl.
2 In a pan, melt butter and add sugar and karo.
3 Mix together.
4 Boil for 3 to 3-1/2 minutes on medium-high.
5 Pour over dry mixture and mix together.
6 Pour in a waxed paper lined cookie sheet to cool.

Now can you see why my teeth hurt?!

Melissa said...

Yum-a-lum-a. Can't wait to try this.